Thursday, May 13, 2010

Paying to Join the Army?

After my arrival in Israel a few weeks ago there was a lapse in posts due to the amount of work involved in getting into the IDF.

On Monday I made it out to the Misrad HaP'nim to obtain a visa to allow me to stay in Israel for the duration of my army service. Thankfully the staff of my Yeshiva provided me with the phone number of a contact in the office, and informed me of opening hours of the Misrad, 8 AM- 12PM.

Upon arrival to the run-down excuse for an office from which the Misrad HaP'nim operates, I was directed to room 204. After a bit of difficulty finding the unmarked room, I waited on line only to find out that the employee working in 204 (who happened to be the contact the Yeshiva provided me with) began her vacation today, and that no one else would be able to help me. I went back to the receptionist to find out where to go, and her only response was to the offices in Akko.
After leaving the building calling and few friends on the phone, they told me that only persistence would get me my visa, so I turned around and went back inside the building. This time the receptionist sent me to room 208. After waiting on line again, I was abruptly informed that I had to go to room 205. Thanks! BUT... after waiting in line yet again, the person from 204 who told me I couldn't get my visa until further notice was now sitting at the desk in 205. She told me the same story again, and said the person who I need to talk to would be out for a week or two. After putting up a fight she sent me to room 206, and told me that if the people there are in a good mood, maybe they'd be willing to help me. Right. Off to room 206.
After waiting on line (how may times was that?) I was let into room 206 and spoke to one the the three women sitting at desks in the room. She proceeded to yell at me, and demanded to know who sent me to her room. After my explanation, she told me that I would have to wait until of the the other women in the room was available.
And finally, after another 20 minutes waiting, the woman at desk number 3 in room 206 allowed me to enter. Reluctantly she scoured my papers, and told me that while some of my documentation said Marc, my legal name, others said Mordechai. I was told to get a legal name change and a new passpot, or I could not get a visa. But after 2.5 hours I was not going to take no for an answer, and she finally agreed to provide me with my visa. 165 Shekels late I was on my way. No, was not not a major fiscal setback for me, but the fee combined with the general lack of assistance given at the Misrad HaP'nim is very disappointing.
If you have had a good experience at the Misrad al-Hapanim, tell me, since until now all the people who I have spoken to share stories of similar miserable experiences with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment