Saturday, August 14, 2010

The REAL Commanders

So another week has flown by and oh so quickly! This week we met our permanent officers. They yelled and screamed at us all week long. We got almost no rest and worked 18-hour days in 110 degree heat. Whatever we did was not good enough to satisfy them. You'd think these people had no souls, until you break them down that is!
Our Class Commander is religious. Other than his first name, we really don't know anything about him, and we won't be finding anything else out about him for the next four months. He made special arrangements that we get out early on Fridays so that we could do our laundry which is hard for lone soldiers. Our division commander is not religious, but none the less as much as he is a disciplinarian by profession, he confessed to me in my interview with him, that as a Chayal Boded, he has great respect for my needs, and I can address him directly without going through the ranks if I have any urgent needs. And our platoon commander is also religious. When I was in his office, instead of a two-minute conversation to make sure I was alright, he made sure that at my apartment (dorm room) I have everything I need, and that I have places to go for Shabbat, and that my paycheck is deposited on time, and that if I have financial issues, the army can give me interest free loans. So you get the feeling that the commanders are there to help you. I bet you it's not that way in the American army.

No comments:

Post a Comment