Saturday, August 7, 2010

Right @ Home

So after my first full week in the army there is a lot to say. On Sunday, the Friends of the IDF Panama dedicated the new Shul on our base, along with three new Sifrei Torah. The Rishon L'Tzion Rav Shlomo Amar made it out to our base, and all in all it was a wonderful event. 
We spent a lot of time doing menial tasks to work on discipline and to get accustomed to the army way of life. After 8 days in the army I weigh 7 pounds less that when I came in! So yeah, you get the point. It's about 110 degrees midday where my base is, and there is no shortage of sweat. I am the only guy who puts on sunblock, but I am still turning crisp. Tough? Yeah. Fun? Oh Yeah. And I am in a Hesder unit with some of the greatest guys in the world. I wake up every morning in a room full of people whom I've never met before, yet the are my best friends.
But to more pressing issues: Every night before bedtime, the army gives out a bit of food called the Prisah. This Monday night we got some tuna and bread, but not just any tuna. Kudos to the IDF for making me feel at home!

1 comment: